This is a ROADPOL country driving guide to help drivers visiting Italy.

Visitor Information: 

  • When driving in Italy, you need to have the following documents with you:
  • Valid Vehicle registration certificate. For a hire car, the rental contract.
  • Valid national driving license enabling to drive the category of vehicle driven (If not EU member State, please check if international driving permit or translation is requested).
  • Third party liability insurance cover bought in an EU country.  Residents of non-EU countries should contact their insurance company prior to departure and check whether they need a green card (international insurance certificate) or a short term insurance.
  • A warning triangle must be carried in the vehicle at all times, A reflective jacket / waistcoat or reflective braces must be worn when stepping out of a vehicle.
  • In winter, winter tyres or snow chain (aboard) are mandatory in many roads and motorway.
  • Emergency Numbers:

112 (Police – Emergency)
115 (Fire Brigade)
118 (Ambulance – Medical Emergency)

For more information:

Collision & Breakdown Information: 

  • A reflective jacket / waistcoat or reflective braces must be worn when stepping out of a vehicle – in case of an accident, a breakdown or for any other reason - outside built-up areas at night and even in the daytime in case of poor visibility.
  • This applies also in emergency stopping bay and in the emergency lane of motorways. For this reason, reflective items as above are supposed to be available at all times in the driver and passenger compartment.
  • In case of an accident it is compulsory to stop and ascertain the extent of the damage caused to other vehicles or property; drivers and vehicle data must be provided to between person involved in accidents. If necessary, call the municipal/local police or Police (112).
  • If you cause an accident involving injury, or even if you note the presence of injured people after an accident you are not involved in, you must stop and provide assistance, if necessary by calling 118 (Emergency number) for an ambulance or 112 (Carabinieri) or 113 (Police).
  • Please see the Motorway Association “AISCAT” website for more details information about accident in motorway:

Useful Phrase 1 - English: 

Call the Police!

Useful Phrase 1 - Destination: 

Chiamate la Polizia

Useful Phrase 2 - English: 

Do you speak English?

Useful Phrase 2 - Destination: 

Lei parla Inglese?

Useful Phrase 3 - English: 

My car has broken down.

Useful Phrase 3 - Destination: 

La mia auto è in panne (or) siamo rimasti in panne.

Useful Phrase 4 - English: 

Where is the nearest fuel station?

Useful Phrase 4 - Destination: 

Dove è la piu’ vicina stazione di rifornimento?

Useful Phrase 5 - English: 

I am lost!

Useful Phrase 5 - Destination: 

Mi sono perso!

Useful Phrase 6 - English: 

Thank you!

Useful Phrase 6 - Destination: 


Road Traffic Policing: 

  • Seat Belt and child restraint mandatory for all passengers
  • Helmets are mandatory for all Power Two Wheels
  • Standard speed limits for light vehicle ( < 3.5 ton.) unless otherwise stated by traffic signs:

Urban roads: 50 Km/h
Non-urban roads; 90 Km/h
Motorways: 130 Km/h

  • Maximum blood alcohol content:

0,5 g/l  Standard drivers
0,0 g/l Novice drivers
0,0 g/l Professional drivers

  • Law enforcement Officers have the power to stop vehicles at random and the power to perform completely random preliminary breath alcohol/drug

Road Traffic Enforcement: 

  • When driving in Italy, foreign driving license or international driving permit holders must obey all Italian Highway Code rules.
  • Foreign drivers, caught by a traffic officer committing a driving offence with a foreign or EE- registered vehicle, are entitled to pay a 30% - reduced fine on the spot. The traffic officer will issue a written report stating the amount paid.
  • Please refers to the Italian Traffic Law for exception, Traffic violation appeal and procedures.
  • In the event of any conflict between the provided data and the rules in effect in Italy, the latter take precedence. The data are meant purely as a documentation tool for ROADPOL website.

Individual limits and specific driving requirements: 

For more information about driving in Italy please see the European Commission Road Safety Link - 'Going Abroad':