This is a guide to help drivers who are visiting Estonia.
- Estonia - Eesti, officially the Republic of Estonia, is a country in the Baltic region of Northern Europe.
- The population is 1.3 million.
- It is bordered to the north by the Gulf of Finland, to the west by the Baltic Sea, to the south by Latvia and to the east by Lake Peipus and Russia. Across the Baltic Sea lies Sweden in the west and Finland in the north.
- The territory of Estonia consists of a mainland and 2,222 islands and islets in the Baltic Sea, covering 45,339 km² of land.
- There were 629,845 driving licence holders in 2018.
- The main roads have a total of 1,602 km of road network throughout the country, and accounts for 10%. However, the total daily mileage on the main roads accounts for approximately 50% of all road traffic. The main through road in Estonia is also part of the international Trans European Transport Network (TEN-T) road network.
- Average number of tourists visiting Estonia every Year is 2,120, 000
- Estonia is an e-country – most people use e-banking, pay parking with a mobile phone and pay taxes, or even vote, online.
Collision & Breakdown Information:
- In a traffic accident make sure that there is no danger of further collisions due to the position of the vehicles.
- Call the emergency number on 112 if there is injury or a legal issue.
- If there is no disagreement about who is guilty and no one is under the influence of psychoactive substances and the recipient of the damage is known, exchange details with third parties and inform the insurance companies.
- In a vehicle breakdown park the car on the road side as far as possible from other traffic. Put up a warning triangle.
Useful Phrase 1 - English:
Call the Police!
Useful Phrase 1 - Destination:
Kutsuge palun politsei!
Useful Phrase 2 - English:
Do you speak English?
Useful Phrase 2 - Destination:
Kas te räägite inglise keelt?
Useful Phrase 3 - English:
My car has broken down.
Useful Phrase 3 - Destination:
Minu auto on katki.
Useful Phrase 4 - English:
Where is the nearest fuel station?
Useful Phrase 4 - Destination:
Kus on lähim bensiinijaam?
Useful Phrase 5 - English:
I am lost.
Useful Phrase 5 - Destination:
Ma olen eksinud!
Useful Phrase 6 - English:
Useful Phrase 6 - Destination:
Road Traffic Policing:
Zero tolerance against taking drugs or alcohol and driving.
- Around 750,000 breath tests are carried out each year.
- Saliva drug screening testing is carried out on drivers.
- Drug driving and BAC over the 1,50 mg/g are considered as criminal offences.
- There are 66 automatic speed camera points. The speeding fixed in all the cases. More information about speed cameras: https://www.mnt.ee/et/tee/liikluskorraldus/kiiruskaamerad
- Pedestrians walking on the road in inadequate visibility or at night-time must use a reflector or a light source.
Road Traffic Enforcement:
- Zero tolerance against taking drugs or alcohol and driving;
- The driver is liable to give way to pedestrians at a pedestrian crossing and turning in.
- Using safety equipment is mandatory in all vehicles;
- HGV enforcement is significant to deal with both Road Safety and Transport Security aspects.
Individual limits and specific driving requirements:
For more information about driving in Estonia please see the European Commission Road Safety Link - 'Going Abroad'.