This is a ROADPOL country driving guide to help drivers visiting Croatia.
- The population is little over 4, 2 million.
- Neighbouring countries: Italy (see border), Slovenia, Hungary, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Monte Negro.
- The international vehicle identity plate is 'HR'.
- Croatia has nearly 1.9 million registered vehicles thereof approximately 1.5 million vehicles are passenger cars.
- Total length of roads is 26,820 km of which 1,295 km are motorways.
Collision & Breakdown Information:
- A person involved in a traffic accident which has resulted in a death or injuries shall:
- stay at the place of the traffic accident, allowed to move away from it only temporarily in order to help persons injured in the traffic accident or to receive medical help if himself or herself injured, or to report the accident to the police. Do everything within his or her ability to avert any new dangers which may arise at the place of the traffic accident, to restore the normal flow of traffic, to see to it that the set-up of the place of the traffic remains unchanged, with the existing traces preserved, provided that the safety of traffic is not endangered by such measures.Call 192 or report the traffic accident to the nearest police administration or police station, return to the place of the traffic accident and wait for the arrival of authorised investigators.
- Drivers and persons involved in a traffic accident in which only a material damage has been caused to the vehicles shall, if that is possible, immediately remove the vehicles from the roadway for an unhindered flow of traffic, fill and sign the European Accident Report or in another way exchange personal data and particulars related to the vehicles.
- In case of breakdown, move a vehicle to the emergency lane and call a service. Use a warning triangle.
Leave a vehicle on motorways or expressways only by wearing a reflective vest.
Useful Phrase 1 - English:
Call the Police!
Useful Phrase 1 - Destination:
Useful Phrase 2 - English:
Do you speak English?
Useful Phrase 2 - Destination:
Govorite li engleski?
Useful Phrase 3 - English:
My car has broken down.
Useful Phrase 3 - Destination:
Auto mi se pokvario.
Useful Phrase 4 - English:
Where is the nearest fuel station?
Useful Phrase 4 - Destination:
Gdje je najbliža benzinska postaja?
Useful Phrase 5 - English:
I am lost!
Useful Phrase 5 - Destination:
Izgubio sam se!
Useful Phrase 6 - English:
Useful Phrase 6 - Destination:
Road Traffic Policing:
- Penalty point system since 1996
- Preliminary tests for drugs are in use since 2004. If result is positive driver should give blood and urine for confirmation of drugs in organism.
- Equipment for reading digital tachographs is in use since 2010.
- It is possible to get 50% discount if you pay your fine for minor traffic offence on the spot (up to 2,000 kuna or approx. 266 Euros).
- alcohol screening devices
- automatic cameras for speeding
- child restraint systems and seat belt are mandatory for all car occupants as well as:
- winter tyres
- reflective vest
- warning triangle and first aid kit
- spare wheel or spray for temporary enabling flat tyre
Road Traffic Enforcement:
- A driver in road traffic who was found committing the offence under the influence of illegal drugs or alcohol, if certain circumstances point that he or she will continue with the offence, may be ordered by the police officer, for direct prevention of continuing of the offence, to be taken to a special facility until the end of the influence but not longer than 12 hours; in this time his vehicle will be ordered to be transferred to a specific place.
- Special unmarked police vehicles, so called “interception vehicles” for enforcement of traffic offences, especially speeding, are in use since 2005 on motorways and expressways.
Individual limits and specific driving requirements:
For more information about driving in Croatia please see the European Commission Road Safety Link - 'Going Abroad':